Thursday, November 4, 2010

Your special daddy!

Once I knew that I wanted to adopt it would be years before I found the right person to raise children with. I had dated many guys over the next 8 years, but knew it would take a special guy to understand my "unique" family aspirations. I had various boyfriends that when I would reveal my hopes for adopting, many of them considered it a deal breaker. They couldn't comprehend having a child that did not have their DNA... let alone a child that was a different race all together!

Then I met Jon... I knew Jon was a special person this first day that I met him. He and I had many of the same ideals and goals. As we began getting more serious, the inevitable "how many kids do you want to have" conversation would come up. Learning from my past experiences, I knew this probably wouldn't be the typical conversation that he may have had with other girlfriends. I trully expected the same response like so many before.... they smile and say that is nice, and then a few weeks later we realize we have different goals. So like so many time before, I brought up that I wanted 2-3, but really wanted to adopt as well. Jon looked at me and said, "really... I always wanted to adopt too. I would actually really like to adopt a baby from a different race." 

I am sure my mouth dropped to the ground at that moment. I told him I wanted to adopt a little African- American baby one day, and he said that he would love that! It was at that moment I knew I was going to marry Jon. It was seven months later that I did!