Thursday, November 4, 2010

When you were first conceived

Probably the question asked the most is, "why do you want to adopt?" Then it is usually followed with, "are you able to have your own children?” The truth is the seed was first planted when I was around 20 years old and attending my junior year in college. This was way before I was even thinking about getting in a serious relationship, let alone settling down and having kids! I had a roommate in college who was recently engaged, and as girls do we asked her how many kids she wanted to have. She wasn't sure, but she knew she wanted to adopt and wanted to adopt a little African American baby. She didn't know why, we just knew she wanted to. I thought her response was interesting, but really didn't think much about it.

A couple years after that, my family had decided to adopt a little boy from Romania. He was six years old, and did not have any arms. He could not speak any English yet, but when he came into my family's life, we knew he was special and he belonged in our family. It was at that point that I knew I wanted to adopt. I realized that the Lord will place His children with the family they belong with... even if He delivers them in a different way.

A couple years after my brother came into my life; I then went and lived in New York City. I met so many wonderful people from all over the world. Coming from a little town in Colorado there wasn't a lot of diversity, so when I arrived in the melting pot of the world I fell in love with the many different cultures and races. One day I was on a subway, and there was an African American mother with 3 little children. Her little boy looked at me and gave me a big smile. My heart melted, and it was at that exact moment that the words of my old roommate came rushing to my mind. I knew at that moment that one day I was going to adopt and it would be little African American baby. I did not know why... I just knew!