Monday, November 15, 2010

A baby shower turning emotional

I have had many friends and family deliver babies this past month, and have attended many baby showers. I recently attended a shower for someone who just adopted a little boy. I didn't even know that they intended to adopt. It made me start thinking how you have to throw a baby shower for these new adoptive moms after instead of before because of the uncertainty of each adoption. I spoke to her concerning her journey and she said her and her husband chose to go the private route versus through an adoption agency.

Sometimes if all goes well, private adoptions can be much cheaper.  But in her case, she had 5 failed adoptions and had spent around $50,000.  The baby that was just placed with her, she said was a miracle and just fell in her lap because of a referral through a friend. She said that even though it wasn't easy to go through this process that it had all been worth it in the end. I left the shower wondering what will happen in our journey. It was a reality check that this journey we are beginning will probably be a bit of a roller coaster.